United Way of Summit County increases corporate volunteer opportunities for 2016
Jan 05, 2016
United Way of Summit County is expanding its corporate engagement program to provide more volunteer opportunities for area companies.
United Way on Tuesday, Jan. 5, released its 2016 Community Engagement Calendar, which offers a variety of hands-on volunteer events planned by United Way staff that can accept larger groups.
After seeing the success of its annual Day of Action, which attracts about 1,200 volunteers, and Stuff the Bus events, United Way of Summit County decided to offer more opportunities throughout the year, according to Sarah Catherine Teixeira, vice president of resource development.
"Volunteers play a vital role in United Way’s work to make our community stronger," said Jim Mullen, United Way president and CEO, in a prepared statement. "This calendar of events will help local companies meet their corporate social responsibility goals by engaging employees in volunteerism while also uniting large numbers of volunteers to make a difference for our neighbors."
Teixeira said in a statement, “We know employees are keen to volunteer when they do it as a team and when their company supports United Way to organize and run the project for them.”
Volunteer opportunities for 2016 include:
- Page It Forward Book Drive, Feb.1-29. Donate books to benefit children in Summit County. A “Sort-A-Thon” will be held on Dr. Seuss's birthday, March 2.
- Read to Me Day I, March 4. Volunteers will read aloud to children in a Barberton City Schools classroom.
- Smart Start Baby Shower Collection, April 4-29. Collect baby items to help at-risk mothers. A Sort-a-Thon and baby shower will be held in May (date to be determined).
- Day of Action, June 17. United Way’s annual Day of Action mobilizes individuals and corporations on the same day across Summit County in a variety of volunteer events.
- Stuff the Bus, July 5 through Aug. 15. Collect school supplies for Akron Public Schools children. Volunteers also will be needed for a Sort-a-Thon and to deliver supplies on the first day of school.
- Read to Me Day II, Nov. 3. Volunteers will read to elementary school students in Akron Public Schools and donate the books to the classrooms.
- Holiday Snack Pack Food Drive, Nov. 28 through Dec. 16. Collect food for at-risk children to eat on their holiday school break. A Sort-a-Thon will be held Dec. 21.
A full schedule and more information about the events is available at uwsummit.org/volunteer.