Our volunteer tax preparers will prepare your federal and state tax returns at no cost. Per IRS guidelines for VITA programs, we are only able to file for households with income of $60,000 or less. Appointments are required for all tax preparation options.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR YOUR TAX APPOINTMENT
- Photo ID for yourself and your spouse, if filing jointly*
- Social Security number for you, your spouse, and any dependents. Acceptable documents include:
- Social Security Card
- Social Security verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Social Security income statement
- Income documentation (W-2, 1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, etc) for the previous year
- Expense documentation if applicable e.g. mileage and self-employment related expenses
- Copies of the previous year’s federal and state tax returns, if available
- If you received a Recovery Rebate (stimulus) payment-IRS Letter 6475 OR bring amounts of recovery rebate
- If you received Advanced Child Tax Credit (ACTC) IRS Letter 6419 OR bring amounts of ACTC payments
- Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit (a voided check is acceptable)
- If you don’t have a bank account and want your refund faster, visit www.uwsummit.org/bankon
*Your spouse must be available to sign off on required forms if filing jointly.
To schedule at our Financial Empowerment Center in Akron:
TAX PREPARATION OPTIONS
All tax preparation options are by appointment only. For the safety of our volunteers, staff and community partners, masks will be encouraged at the Financial Empowerment Center.
We can complete taxes for tax years 2018, 2019 & 2020. Please schedule 1 appointment for each year you need done.
This appointment type is for clients that need to have a return previously filed amended. Please note, we are only accepting amendment appointments for returns previously filed with United Way of Summit & Medina’s VITA program.
Facilitated Self-Assistance (SELF FILE)
If your household makes less than $60,000 and you would like to file your own tax return, we can provide you with free access to TaxSlayer, an online tax software, to file your federal and state returns yourself at no cost. Due to IRS restrictions, we cannot post this link publicly, but if you email us at [email protected], we will send you the access information. This link will be available until October 1st.
Additionally, if you have questions as you are completing your tax return, you can email [email protected] or call 2-1-1 to Schedule an “Ask a Tax Question” call with one of our experts.
OUT OF SCOPE TAX RETURNS
Our tax preparers are certified to prepare a variety of tax returns, including Schedule Cs, itemized returns, and Schedule Ds. However, due to IRS regulations for VITA sites, we are unable to prepare tax returns with the following characteristics.
- Rental property income or expenses
- Minister tax returns with parsonage/housing allowance
- Taxpayers with dual citizenship
- Taxpayers who have transactions using Bitcoins or other virtual currencies
- Schedule C with:
- Business use of home
- Net losses
- Expenses for employees or contract labor
- Cost of goods sold (inventory)
Interested in volunteering for VITA? Fill out an interest form here: