Free Tax Prep
Our volunteer tax preparers will prepare your Federal, State, and City of Akron tax returns at no cost. The Financial Empowerment Center also offers other services that can help you reach your financial goals including 1-1 financial coaching. For more information, visit uwsummit.org/fec.
Tax Prep Hours and Locations
AKRON FINANCIAL EMPOWERMENT CENTER IN KENMORE
1060 Kenmore Blvd, Akron, OH 44314
Mondays: Drop off only*
Tuesday: 10am-2pm and 5pm-8pm
Thursday: 10am-2pm and 5pm-8pm
*Tax payers can drop off their tax documentation and schedule a time to return the following week to pick up their completed return. Please allocate at least 15 minutes for both drop-off and pick-up of the tax return.
AKRON-SUMMIT COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY, DOWNTOWN BRANCH
60 S High St, Akron, OH 44326
MOBILE VITA SITES
We will be offering free tax preparation at various dates/times in the community. To schedule for any of these locations, use the link below or call 2-1-1.
- Family Resource Center at Helen Arnold CLC
Thursday, February 6 from 3pm-7pm
- Family Resource Center at Robinson CLC
Monday, February 10 from 3pm-7pm
- Urban Vision in North Hill
Tuesday, February 18 from 4pm-7pm
Wednesday, February 19 from 11am-2pm
- House of the Lord
Tuesday, February 25 from 4pm-7pm
What to Bring to your Tax Prep Session
- Social Security card for you, your spouse and any dependents
- Photo ID for yourself and your spouse, if filing jointly
- Income and expense documentation (W-2, 1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, etc) for the previous year
- Copies of the previous year’s federal and state tax returns, if available
- Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit (a voided check is acceptable)
Your spouse must be present to sign required forms if filing jointly.
Out of Scope Tax Returns
Our tax preparers are certified to prepare a variety of tax returns, including Schedule Cs, itemized returns, and Schedule Ds. However, due to IRS regulations for VITA sites, we are unable to prepare tax returns with the following characteristics. For additional information, contact the Financial Empowerment Center at 330-685-9430.
- Rental property income or expenses
- Minister tax returns with parsonage/housing allowance
- Tax payers with dual citizenship
- Schedule C with: Business use of home, net losses, expenses for employees or contract labor, cost of goods sold (inventory), expenses over $25,000