United Way of Summit & Medina's highest priority is the health and safety of our community. To protect the well being of our volunteers, our staff and the public, we have taken the difficult decision to temporarily suspended in-person VITA appointments due to COVID-19. However, you may be interested in Virtual VITA or self-file services described below.
Does your household earn less than $60,000 per year? If so, you’re eligible for free tax preparation services that can be completed remotely. The Virtual VITA process is described below:
- Gather your tax documents and take pictures of them or upload them to your device (smartphone or computer) so they are available electronically.
- Complete a 45-minute intake appointment with a United Way of Summit & Medina staff member. During this appointment, we will send you a link to upload your tax documents securely. Your taxes will then be prepared by one of our certified tax preparers.
- Schedule a time to review your completed tax return approximately one week later. With your approval, we will then e-file your federal and state returns.
DRIVE THROUGH VITA
The Financial Empowerment Center offers limited drive through appointments for individuals who do not have access to the technology needed to conduct a virtual appointment. The Drive Through process is described below and requires you to make an appointment to come to the Financial Empowerment Center with your tax paperwork:
- Complete an intake form in your vehicle or outside of the Financial Empowerment Center in Kenmore and give our staff your tax documents.
- Wait in your vehicle or run an errand as our staff and volunteers complete your taxes. The tax preparation process typically takes 45-60 minutes.
- Review your completed tax return and provide your approval for us to e-file your federal and state return.
To schedule your appointment for either Virtual or Drive Through VITA, click the button below or call 2-1-1.
MY FREE TAXES
If you would like to self-file your tax return online, you can visit www.myfreetaxes.com, a free software sponsored by United Way Worldwide and H&R block. Through My Free Taxes, you can file a FREE simple federal and state return. Be cautious of adding fees by opting into services such as a "CPA sign off" which include a cost. The IRS also has a variety of free-file software available at https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/
*The following items are unable to be completed using the My Free Taxes free software:
- Schedule A – Itemized deductions
- Schedule C – Business income (including Uber, Lyft and any other 1099-misc income)
- Schedule D – Sale of stocks and bonds
- Schedule E – Used to report income/loss from rentals properties, royalties, estates and trusts
If you have tax law questions as you are completing your tax return, you can email [email protected] and we will respond with one business day.
ABOUT THE EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT (EITC)
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a refundable tax credit for low to moderate income working individuals and couples, particularly those with children. Through its VITA program, United Way is working to help all Summit and Medina county families receive what they are due. In addition to being a financial boost for working people, the EITC boosts the local economy. Research has shown that the EITC encourages work, reduces poverty and leads to long-term gains in child health and academic success.